Living in a tiny home is a new trend since the cost of a traditional home has become unobtainable in recent times. Micro-dwelling has become increasingly popular over the last decade. Smaller dwelling spaces appeal to individuals with lower budgets and more sustainable mindsets.
Their meteoric rise in popularity is due to affordability, environmental concerns, efficiency, and flexibility. If you have decided to forgo a traditional apartment and buy into the tiny home craze, this lifestyle change would equate to decreased cost of living.
How Much Does It Cost to Build a Tiny Home?
As defined by the International Residential Code, tiny homes are under 400 square feet. Breaking down the average cost per square foot would equate to $300. The typical range of building a smaller dwelling space is $30000-$60000, averaging about $45000.
There is a lot goes into the cost of a tiny home, for instance, size, quality, and the details of the house. A high-end custom luxurious tiny house can easily cost upwards of $100000. Like traditional homes, it will also need maintenance and occasional repairs to be in tip-top shape.
Costs of Building a Tiny Home
A tiny house seems like a viable option for people who have decided to downsize their lives. The following costs associated with tiny homes should be considered.
- Land – Let’s face it, the land is quite expensive but an absolute necessity for your tiny home. In urban and suburban areas, the cost of one acre of land is more than the rural areas. For instance, the cost of one acre of land in Alabama is about $2000 whereas it is approximately $13000 in New York and New Jersey.
- Square Footage – The cost of a tiny house will vary depending on the size and square foot. On average, you will be expected to pay $150 to $300 per square foot. It does not include the cost for the land and extra facilities but just the structure. The estimated cost of a 200, 400, and 600 sq ft house would be $30000, $60000, and $90000 approximately.
- Foundation – If you have decided to build a tiny home on a foundation, the cost may go up from $52000 to $55000. Additional $5000 to $8000 is added to the total cost.
- Trailer – If you do not want to put down roots, invest in a trailer. Tiny house on wheels typically costs $60000 to $80000. There is not much difference between the cost of the trailer and the laying foundation. The trailer may cost anywhere from $4,500 to $9,000.
- Permits and Taxes – You got to have the necessary permits and documents for building a tiny house. Contact local city halls to get the right instructions, these permits may cost from a few hundred dollars to or couple of thousand dollars.
You got to factor in size, location, material, labor, insulation, and other desired amenities to get an accurate figure. The majority of Americans are in favor of tiny houses because of affordability, environmental considerations, self-sufficiency, and reduced cost of living.
Talon Juper is Civil Engineer. He has written many research papers about construction techniques, structural design, geotechnical engineering, transportation, and environmental issues.